Emergency Response in the Workplace

First Response in the work place emergency AED CPR

The American Heart Association (AHA) reports that 10,000 sudden cardiac arrests occur annually in American workplaces. Among those 10,000, 50% of people were able to find an automated external defibrillator (AED) at their workplace. The rest have to wait for first responders to arrive or another solution.

After the SCA has occurred, there is a limited window to mitigate the effects of the arrest (See The Mayo Clinic’s Report). Brain damage and muscle damage can begin in minutes. Time is of the essence. Responders must be fast and efficient. The SCAA shows that shocking an SCA Victim within one minute brings their survival odds to 90 percent, and according to the CDC, even simple chest compressions can decrease damage. For every minute an AED is not used, chance of survival drops by 10%.

The best rescue tool for a sudden cardiac arrest is an AED in the workplace.

What else is there to know about AEDs in the workplace?

Are they legally required?

– Sometimes, depending on your state guidelines and your practice. Many states have proposed that AEDs be held in public forums.

Do these AEDs have to be maintained?

– AED pads carry an adhesive gel designed to hold onto the patient’s chest; this adhesive slowly degrades over time. Each pack of pads carries an expiration date; while this does not mean that the pad is unusable, it does mean that the pad will not adhere well. Your AEDs batteries are also checked during your AEDs automatic diagnostic. So your device may chirp to let you know that it’s time to be changed.

What other precautions can we take?

– Make a plan! In the instance of an SCA, remind employees where AEDs are placed in the building and which protocol to follow when an incident occurs. Take time to regularly train your employees in SCA recognition, CPR rescue, and AED usage. Then practice! Once or twice a year, check your emergency preparedness.

Emergency Trauma Response

Trauma is the #1 cause of death for people between the ages of 1 and 46, accounting for 30% of all lives lost in the U.S. There is an urgent need for bystanders to be equipped to take a more active role in responding to emergency trauma situations. MME is recommending the following solutions to help equip and guide public access lay rescuers to save lives: The Comprehensive Rescue System and the Compact Mobilize System.

The Comprehensive Rescue System includes an extensive set of emergency supplies to manage life-threatening issues such as bleeding, seizures, choking, hypothermia, broken bones, allergic reactions, and much more. The integrated tablet guides rescuers with real-time instruction on location and application of supplies to the patient.

The lightweight Compact Rescue System is a perfect workplace emergency solution. Anyone with the Mobilize Rescue app is prepared to manage severe bleeding, seizures, choking, and other emergencies. A Compact Trauma kit can even fit in an AED wall Cabinet alongside the AED!

In an effort to increase workplace safety and preparedness, we are offering a limited-time Emergency Response Bundle that includes your choice of an AED, as well as a Compact Trauma kit and Wall Cabinet at a cost-effective price. The AED and Trauma kit can fit inside the cabinet, keeping your emergency response equipment safe, together, and easy to locate.

At Master Medical Equipment, we are determined to provide ex
cellent service in any way we can. We have a brand new AED pad-expiration reminder online so you can stay up-to-date on the lifespans of all your AED pads simultaneously. Our friendly and knowledgeable customer service team is here to answer your questions and find a cost-effective solution. We vet our processes by a third party, and our quality management process has been recommended for ISO 13485 certification, specifically for medical device companies. We go to great lengths to provide the best new and recertified medical equipment. We have an online chat feature where you can reach out to us through our website. Or give us a phone call at 866-704-5617. For questions about annual maintenance for your AED, contact us today!

Jake Beals
Master Medical Equipment, Writer